Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Doug Wilson retells the story

The Lord Jesus Just one more of the books written about this Man which will one day fill the earth. I was particularly moved by this bit:
From the beginning, the ministry of Jesus consisted of identification with sinners. This is why the Incarnation occurred in the first place, and His formal ministry began with Him receiving the baptism of John—which was, you recall, a baptism of repentance. So Jesus began His public ministry by repenting, a fact that brought John the Baptist into a state of no small consternation. As the perfect one, Jesus was the only one who could repent perfectly. Of course, this also meant that He did not need to repent, but Jesus lived His life as a second Adam—one whose obedience or disobedience was to be reckoned to His people. And in this repentance, He was Israel, repenting on our behalf. So He began His public ministry by repenting in the Jordan River. Have you ever felt that your repentance was completely inadequate? That is why Jesus repented for you. He began His ministry of representing you by coming to John and requesting baptism. He ended this ministry of identification with sinners in His death and resurrection. The baptism of Jesus and the death and resurrection of Jesus are the two bookends of His ministry that contain the story of your salvation, as well as the reality of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

Hmm. I've been wondering how to respond to this. I had considered merely saying, "Thank you for your comments." But that seemed too mild. I also debated simply ignoring it. After all, there's a time and a place for that. But, you did call my religion evil, and it seems that I should defend the name of the God Whom I love. I debated simply looking at you with my head cocked to the side in confusion. After all, I spent perhaps 10 minutes reading the referenced post and a mere 45 seconds posting this link and quote. How this is evidence that I have too much time on my hands is beyond me. Moreover, I don't really see the "twaddle" and "evil" in the post that I referenced.

But perhaps this is the best response. I'm really sorry that you could read the article that I posted and walk away with the response that you have indicated. Doug Wilson did a fine job of showing a portion of the glory of the Good News, and you've decided that you want no part of it. Everlasting treasures of glory were spread at your feet, yet you turned away to cling to the shit that you think is so precious. I pray that this will not be the case forever. It is still not too late, but one day, your time will run out. I beg of you to reconsider your choice.

11/01/2005 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

i was going to say 'interesting' till i saw sprockets' comments.

now i totally forgot what hit me about the original post.

11/01/2005 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger dlr said...

i believe sprocketsandspokes has one wheel slipping in the sand...

11/01/2005 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jon Swerens said...

Sprockets sed:

"its the most EVIL force on the face of this planet "

Seth, behold the power of the cross, even on His enemies.

11/09/2005 05:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home