Sunday, May 22, 2005

On Being Indie (some links)

I keep adding to the list of topics that I should write about, so here I'll open up a topic, so that I'll get nagged to write about it later. The issue is creator ownership of intellectual property, also known as being an independent artist. The short short version of the argument is that the general approach to distribution and marketing of creative properties is fundamentally screwed up. Here are a couple articles that discuss the issue in a two different media: The Cheaping of the Comics by Bill Watterson (the creator of the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip) The Nuked Apple Cart by Ron Edwards (the creator of the Sorcerer roleplaying game) And I'll get back to this later. Honest.....

1 Comments:

Blogger james3v1 said...

I read the Calvin & Hobbes guy article. Interesting--but since his strip is a part of how he's framing the problem--where do we go from here?

I appreciated his encouragement to young artists not to sell out. The only way to retain and regain a folk culture that will produce a high culture is if we're willing to do art for free for a while.

Just my half nickel (inflation).

I'll look forward to what you write on the topic later--consider this a friendly nag. :0)

5/23/2005 10:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home