Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I'm learning to play the guitar!

I decided that I need to talk less about the arts and practice them more. So, recently, I started to learn how to play the guitar. My friend Bryan is teaching me. His counsel was to pick a song that I knew, find the guitar tabs, and then work through playing it. So, I've finally located my first song: "Hard to Get" by Rich Mullins. It looks fairly straightforward to play, plus it's a song that has personal meaning to me. That all works for me. I hate doing drills to learn something. I want to be able to work on something that I'll be able to use when I'm done learning the skill. This is a song that I'd want to be able to play, so why not start with it? I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Raquel said...

Somehow my mental picture of you does not include a guitar. Then again, it's one of those weird and unexpected things I might expect you to do... Yep, I think I'm in favour of it.

2/08/2006 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

i think it would be great if you had a half-sized guitar, and played it all the time.

those chords are a pain in the butt. your fingers arent made to move in those different directions. when i learned, i picked 3 chords and played them incessantly for about a week. after that, you could sort of tell what chords i was trying to play.
singing while playing is a whole other ball game.

but overall, i think it's awesome that you are learning. if you're like me, you'll be tempted to give it up very quickly, dont give up on it until you've at least got to where you can do something with it that you're happy with.

2/09/2006 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Adiel said...

I rather agree with Raquel, but I do think that you'll enjoy playing the guitar. I'm looking forward to hearing you play that song when you come in July. Have you actually got your own guitar?

2/09/2006 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger dlr said...

i actually have a Baby Taylor that will look just great on him

pictures to follow...

2/10/2006 05:35:00 AM  
Blogger Adiel said...

Hmm... should I use my powers of invisibility for good or evil?

Maybe I'll just keep a record of all my questions that go unanswered on this blog... ;o)

2/10/2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

Sorry, I lost track of the question.

No, I don't yet have a guitar. I use Bryan's, which he keeps at work. (And, no, it's not the Baby Taylor.)

2/10/2006 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger james3v1 said...

No, it's not the Baby Taylor, but funny enough (Bryan will correct me if I'm wrong) it's another Taylor referred to as a "Big Baby."

Hmmmm.

P.S. "ucucca" is the word verification of the day.

"Ucucca. n. a short but wide African Drum popularized in music that Seth listens to that he claims is Japanese."

2/11/2006 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home