Tuesday, April 19, 2005

On Bible Translations

Tonight, I happen to be blogging because a child has kept me up, so you get the short version now. Maybe I'll develop this later. In his book The Word of God in English, Leland Ryken makes a compelling case for "essentially literal" translations of the Bible. One point (among many) is his argument that translation and interpretation are two different activities which need to be kept distinct. Therefore, he argues that dynamic equivalent versions of the Bible are harmful because they add interpretive elements to the text. He agrees that interpretation needs to happen, but he asserts that this is the job of an expositor (like, say, a pastor), not a translator. This sparked a thought. Exposition and interpretation of the Scriptures happens in a communal context, as the saints of God work together to understand the text that they have been given. Could the rise of dynamic equivalent translations be, in part, a result of the decline of the interpretive community of the Church? If I'm all alone as a Christian (either in reality or de facto), then how can I understand the Bible? Maybe I can pay Zondervan to do it for me.... It's a half-formed thought, I know, but it's late, so that's what you get. So there.

3 Comments:

Blogger james3v1 said...

HEY! Next time you link to a PDF instead of an HTML document give us some warning, ok? :0)

4/19/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

Oh, by the way, everyone, that link is to a PDF.

4/19/2005 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

Hey, Ben. Welcome to my blog!

When you say "Now, one could ask that translators attempt to interpret as little as possible. And that would be fair, but interpretation is still going on." I actually agree, and so would Ryken. I've read completely literal translations of portions of the Bible, and while they are interesting to get a feel for the rhythm of the thoughts of the original language, they do not read well in English as English.

However, Ryken's concern is that interpretation needs to be kept to a minimum, and then only to attempt to render the original meaning as close as is possible in English. To use your example, the translator should do his best to figure out if "qing" in this context is blue, green, or some other shade. What he should *not* do is decide that the author's original concern in writing "qing" is irrelevant and choose a rendering that is close to the meaning, like saying that the sky was a "pleasant color". That has stepped beyond translating (with its necessary interpretations) into the realm of full-blown interpretation.

I will immediately concede that the line can sometimes be fuzzy.

Also, you mention that you do not think that the Bible was written in human universals, and I agree. The Bible was written at particular times in the language of the time. In fact, this is a specific principle of Biblical hermeneutics (the "grammatical-historical principle") which is perilous to ignore.

Now, I find it interesting that you'd like to see a translation which shows all the different possible renderings. There is such a beast, called the Amplified Bible. However, I would disagree that there is a need to transcend language. God has chosen to reveal Himself through language. The language isn't the barrier; it is the conduit. This is why Christianity holds the Bible in such high esteem.

At the same time, we deny that we can come to know God through unaided mind power. Something spiritual is needed. Thus Christianity teaches that God the Spirit is the Teacher of all the faithful, the One Who enlightens the hearts of those who believe. Without the Spirit, could there be any way to know the God Who transcends all time and space? Certainly not.

Now, I'm curious what you found interesting about my comments about the interpretive community of the faithful. Care to enlighten me?

Oh, and thanks for posting!

(Also, while I'm thinking about it, I'd be interested in seeing a copy of Polaris. Email me at greatwolf at gmail dot com.)

6/03/2005 04:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home