Thursday, May 05, 2005

A Sad Memory

For some reason, a simple memory haunts me. In the grand scheme of things, I guess that it isn't all that big of a deal. Except to me. The date was October 31, 1997. My bride of four months had arrived to pick me up from work. She was beautiful that day, all the more because she was dressed up as a clown. Goofy clothing, funky makeup. I distinctly remember that she had drawn a smiley face on her face. She was so very happy. Bubbly, even. Happy to see me. Happy to be laughing. And it broke my heart to see her. And I remember watching her face fall when I told her that I had just been laid off. Newly married, a child on the way, and now unemployed again. The life drained out of her. The joy, the laughter, all of it. Vanished. There is nothing sadder than a sad clown. It still breaks my heart when I remember it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home