Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Learning from the Pentecostals

So, I happened to be perusing a copy of Enrichment, when I stumbled upon a couple of interesting articles. The first was entitled "John Owen, Prince of Puritans", which is a short biography of John Owen. (Surprise, surprise). The second, entitled "Stirred By A Noble Theme — The Book Of Common Prayer", is about the use of prayer books and similar practices in worship. Lest there be any confusion, the author was encouraging their use. Now, in order to understand why I think that this is a big deal, you need to understand that Enrichment is a journal of the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal denomination. Yet here they are, looking at Reformation ideas (yes, that includes the Book of Common Prayer) and encouraging their consideration. So, here's my question: what are Reformed people doing to learn from the Pentecostals? Or do we think that we have nothing to learn from them? Apparently they are not too proud to look outside their own religious tradition to learn more about the God that we all profess. Can we say the same?

4 Comments:

Blogger verveben said...

je suis d'accord, mon ami...

7/06/2005 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger dlr said...

huh?

7/06/2005 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

It means, "I agree, my friend." Or something very close to that.

7/06/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I once heard a joke.

A woman was getting married, but she was really nervous about walking down the aisle...afraid she would trip or something. So she was given some advice by a friend. Her friend told her to focus on three things. Look down the aisle. Look at the alter. Then look at the groom. So on her wedding day she walks down the aisle, repeating over and over in her head, "Aisle... Alter... Him... Aisle... Alter... Him"

Did I mention that when I first met my dear husband that I was a Pentecostal? :-)

I love you, Dear!

7/07/2005 10:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home