Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Art of Interpretation

For the last year or so, I've been wrestling with the postmodern challenges to traditional modernist understandings of hermeneutics (the art of interpretation). I think that there are some valid concerns being raised by the postmodernists; however, I also think that they throw out far too much, especially in regards to authorial intent. I have some preliminary thoughts which I'd like to write up at some point, but it's definitely a work in progress. Anyways, in my perusal of Pastor Peter Leithart's blog, I came across the following entries: Interpretation and Jokes Jokes and unintended meanings More food for thought for me. I think that Pastor Leithart is on to something here, which will merit more thought in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home